The Director, Innovation is an experienced professional who is passionate about building scalable technology products and AI & Machine learning techniques. This is a newly formed, highly visible position that is key to Innowatts’ long-term growth strategy that will enhance our innovation framework and provide a unique value to our customers. On any day, the candidate could be doing any or all of the following:
- Innovation strategy – Develop, manage and execute the innovation roadmap
- Research emerging ML/AI/NLP / Data Science solutions and be conversant with the latest developments in the area of grid edge management and electrification trends in the utility industry
- Engage external and internal stakeholders – Become the IW Innovation champion (External – clients, research organizations, conferences, marketing content; Internal – board, executives, Product & Technology (P&T), Client Success, and Sales teams)
- Implement and prototype new algorithms and write code for novel ML/AI/NLP solutions.
- Develop and continuously enhance a robust P&T hand-off framework
- Broader internal interface – Clear articulation of road map timeliness and customer or business value of all team deliverables, receive external drivers from sales/executives on delivery/research priorities to continuously extend R&D roadmap
- Build a high-performance team – attract talent pools including university relationships, hire new talent, coach/grow existing talent, performance manage underperforming talent, processes to operate the team to full efficiency
Key technical skills
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as Neural Network, Random Forest, Gradient Boosting, Linear and Logistic Regression, SVM, Data Visualization, and Project Management, etc.
- Strong and proven programming experience with common data science toolkits, such as Python (NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, SciPy, Jupyter notebook) in Windows / Unix environment
- Experience with AI code and algorithm development and related software AWS lambda function, TensorFlow, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as Tableau.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL and can diagnose common data problems
- Additional experience with GPU programming for training deep learning models, and cloud environments such as AWS
- MS degree in Engineering or any related field, with data science specialty – Ph.D. preferred
- At least 6 – 8 years of data analytics experience in a distributed computing environment; Utility industry experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) to explain complex algorithms, solutions to stakeholders across multiple disciplines, and ability to work in a diverse team
- Experience in an applied R&D environment, working in an agile, innovation-lab culture to bring cutting-edge technologies to fruition, from initial concept to implementation
- Excellent in data-driven statistical analysis & modeling solutions
Innowatts is a Houston-based energy technology start-up, focused on building a scalable Energy Analytics, Segmentation, and Engagement Platform. Innowatts is enabling utilities to optimize energy costs and empower energy consumers with personalized energy programs and services.
Benefits and Perks:
- Fast-paced, collaborative, and fun environment
- Work with data and latest technology to transform the energy industry
- Competitive salary and bonus
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation