Innowatts is an energy technology company based in Houston, TX that is transforming the way energy is bought, sold, managed and consumed. We are a leading provider of AMI-enabled predictive analytics and AI-based solutions for utilities, energy retailers, emerging retailers, and smart energy communities. To date, the Innowatts eUtility™ technology platform has enabled over 34 million energy consumers and their energy providers with access to lower energy costs and a more reliable and personalized energy experience. Innowatts is backed by Energy Impact Partners, Shell Ventures, Iberdrola Energy Ventures, Veronorte and Energy and Environment Investment (Japan).
About the Position:
The Director of Regulatory Affairs and Policy is a senior level position that will take a leadership role in Innowatts outreach, work and coordination with federal and state utility regulatory commissions and assist the CRO and management team in addressing the ongoing state & federal dockets, issues, initiatives and strategic issues at the state regulatory level. This role requires broad and detailed experience and knowledge of state & federal regulatory issues and their interplay with investor owned utilities, as well as federal/state jurisdictional issues. This position will provide state & federal regulatory support. The Director of Regulatory Affairs and Policy will assist the coordination of policy issues between and within other departments on regulatory matters, state/federal dockets and related state/federal governmental energy issues. This position serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in state regulatory issues and federal energy policy issues on an ongoing basis. The Director of Regulatory Affairs and Policy will be a key resource to regulatory commissions and stakeholders. A wide range of skills, knowledge and experience will be required including interpersonal skills, public speaking, organizational skills, teaching competencies, strong background in regulatory issues and their interplay with federal/state jurisdictional issues.
- Responsible for leading and assisting Sales and Marketing to address and leverage regulatory issues to further customer acquisition.
- Assess areas of needed change and/or improvement in key states
- Interaction with state & federal commissioner & staff (Ex. NARUC)
- Create and update Regulatory and Policy strategy at Innowatts
- Develop as needed strategic whitepapers, guidance, etc. to benefit Innowatts and both current and potential customers
- Represent Innowatts on specified related matters before commissions, organizations, and trade groups
- Communicate frequently with senior management regarding organizational vision, strengths, weaknesses, and progress towards goals. Provide input into Innowatts strategy and goals.
- Provide assistance in areas of expertise to other departments and employees, as needed.
- Manage special projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree or extensive regulatory and policy work at the state or federal level
5-10 years of direct experience in state and federal energy regulatory affairs and policy
Specific knowledge of state regulatory policies and procedures and interplay with federal policy
Understanding of the history and evolution of state commission and Federal policies including ISO’s
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to recognize technical and policy issues, develop solutions, and promote efficiency
Ability to work in an environment characterized by a rapid pace, stringent deadlines, and a large volume of information
Excellent organization skills and ability to prioritize
Regulatory background and experience or extensive experience with electric regulatory matters
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Political Science, Public Administration, Public Policy or related areas
Benefits and Additional Perks:
- Fast paced, collaborative and fun environment
- Work with data and latest technology to transform industry
- Competitive salary and bonus
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life and long-term disability insurance
- Paid Time Off